Friday 12 June 2009

Peppermint brownie slice

The third slice I've tried baking this week is my sister-in-law's choice. She's a sucker for anything chocolate or mint, so when I asked her to choose three slice recipes for our upcoming family celebration, she came back with just one. I wasn't surprised. It turned out to be a very good choice.

Peppermint brownie slice

Ingredients
  • 125 g butter
  • 180 g dark chocolate, chopped
  • 1 cup caster sugar
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
  • 1 cup plain flour
  • 1/2 cup sultanas
  • Icing
  • 90 g dark chocolate, melted
  • 2 tablespoons natural yoghurt
  • 1/2 teaspoon peppermint essence
Method
  1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 20cm square cake or slice tin.
  2. Melt butter and chocolate together in a double saucepan. (I melted them in the microwave.) Remove from heat. Blend in sugar, eggs and vanilla essence.
  3. Stir in flour and sultanas. Pour into tin.
  4. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean and dry when tested. Cool in tin.
  5. To prepare icing, blend all ingredients together. Spread over brownies. Refrigerate until set. Cut into squares. Store in an airtight container.
Makes 24 pieces.

Peppermint brownie slice

3 comments:

Random Thoughts said...

Interesting, I would never put a raisin in a brownie. NEVER! Of course I am not a big fan of raisins, I only like them in cinnamon bread or bagels or in an oatmeal raisin cookie, but why is a brownie? Is this customary in NZ?

Caffeinated Weka said...

It's an Australian recipe originally. There's quite a difference between using raisins and sultanas (I also wouldn't bake with raisins - they're shrivelled up enough as it is!). I've come across a couple of other recipes which use the sweetness of sultanas to offset the bitterness of dark chocolate. The final result was an incredibly strong, rich flavour (due to all the dark chocolate) and they disappeared off the serving tray with lightning speed!

Sab said...

mmmmmmmm... I have to try that.