Wednesday 2 April 2008

Shuffle Part 2

My quiz team are back on form and came third out of about 15 teams in last night's general knowledge quiz. I couldn't make the last music quiz, and it's nice to know that I was missed. :-) Apparently they needed someone who could answer questions like "who had a hit in the 1970s with Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree?". Sadly, I knew in an instant that this was Tony Orlando and Dawn. I blame my musical father (hey, that's actually a good thing!), and the eclectic collection of music on my iPod.

So once again, and also for no reason other than this is still a self-indulgent blog, here are the last ten songs, artists, the album they're from, and their rating out of five played on my iPod via shuffle:
  1. Mission Impossible theme [no album] 4/5 - lol!
  2. Jive Talkin' - The Bee Gees [Very Best of the Bee Gees] 4/5 - great bass line. I think of train tracks every time I hear the intro now, after seeing an interview with Barry Gibb about how he wrote it.
  3. Honey - Bobby Goldsboro [no album] 4/5 - a great piece of nostalgia from our parents' time.
  4. (I've Had) The Time Of My Life - Bill Medley and Jennifer Warne [Ultimate Dirty Dancing] 5/5 - the long version. One of my all-time favourite girlie movies, and all-time favourite songs. Have played it in bands for years and still love it.
  5. New York Minute (Live) - The Eagles [Hell Freezes Over] 3/5 - awesome album, but this song has always dragged for me.
  6. Baby Won't You Please Come Home - Kay Starr [Lady Sings The Blues] 4/5 - lovely blues piece. I don't really know anything about Kay Starr. Time to Wikipedia/Google her.
  7. Please Please Me - The Beatles [Please Please Me] 4/5 - love the simplicity of their early material. Real grass roots stuff.
  8. The Way You Make Me Feel - Michael Jackson [History] 5/5 - one of my three favourite Michael Jackson songs. Can't help but move to this.
  9. I Get A Kick Out Of You - Frank Sinatra [New York, New York] 4/5 - good version. Haven't listened to this one for quite a while.
  10. Ball and Chain - Janis Joplin [Tour of Duty] 3/5 - dramatic offering featuring Janis's gravelly voice, including a monologue from her at the end. Definitely a song which sums up the feeling from this era.

No comments: