This recipe for fruit loaf is my mother's and I remember her making it when we were children. I use sultanas or raisins for the fruit, but almost anything goes. The loaves are cooked in two stages, ie ingredients are boiled and left to cool before baking later, so it's a good idea to plan to make this in two parts (eg morning and afternoon). Having said that, it's very easy to make and tastes even better on the second day (if there's any left!).
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 450g mixed fruit (or sultanas)
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 85g butter
- 4 cups flour
- 2tsp baking soda
- Place cinnamon, ground cloves, mixed spice, mixed fruit, water, sugar and butter in a saucepan and boil for ten minutes. Leave to cool for at least 1 hour.
- Add flour and baking soda and mix well.
- Put mixture into two greased loaf tins.
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 160 degrees Celsius for 1 hour.