Thursday 7 August 2008

Find something to be happy and thankful for each day

When I set my 101 goals for 1001 days, I did it to achieve one main goal: to feel more fulfilled in my life. This is not an easy thing. There are some goals on the list which are practical and simply have to be done (#41 - Fix/sew up my clothes that need minor mending), others that are indulgent (#43 - Have a bubble bath), some new experiences (#9 - Swim with dolphins), and a few little ones "just because" (#55 - Have yum char with friends). They're not about scaling mountains; they are just things that I have set out to do.

Work has been incredibly hectic and stressful lately. Don't be mistaken: I love what I do for work and how I can work (at home, yay!), but sometimes there's just too much of it. I love travelling (and am working in Christchurch today and tomorrow), but the days here are really long. I've been unwell for a while and, even though I'm recovering quite well, there's still a long way to go until I'm fully healthy again; that's not always easy to cope with. And this is where #48 can sometimes be the most difficult goal to achieve: Find something to be happy and thankful for each day. So here are some things for #48 without the “buts”.

  • I have a lovely sweetie who cares for me and about me and shows me this.
  • I have worked very hard on my career over the years and now my hard work is paying off.
  • I travel just the right amount for work, ie, enough to still enjoy it.
  • I am staying in a lovely apartment tonight in Christchurch.
  • It is a beautiful clear night and I will soon go for a walk to get something for dinner.
  • The flight down to Christchurch from Wellington this morning was great – blue skies and sunshine all the way.
  • I am reading a fantastic book right now: "Life is So Good", by George Dawson.
  • Every time I receive a txt and hear Animal grunt "Mah nah mah nah", I can't help but smile.
  • I have great friends.
How about you? What would be some things on your #48 list?

No comments: